All Collections
About Honest
What are Honest's sustainability credentials?
What are Honest's sustainability credentials?

Learn more about what we're doing at Honest Mobile to help combat the climate crisis

Anna avatar
Written by Anna
Updated over a week ago

Carbon negative, it's a positive thing, we promise

Honest Mobile is the UK’s only carbon negative mobile network. That means that we remove double the CO2 emissions created by our members’ phones.

We calculate all the emissions created in the manufacture, use and daily charging of your phone. Then look to reduce and remove that carbon from the air. So for every email sent, phone call made and selfie taken we capture double the CO2. We also do this for everything we do at Honest HQ. So we’re carbon negative across our whole business. If you want to read more about what it means to be a carbon negative company read our blog here.

How do we capture carbon?

We do this primarily by planting trees – working with On A Mission to plant trees all over the world, including Madagascar, Brazil and Colombia. Trees are a great way to capture carbon because they’re not as expensive as some other methods. They also provide lots of social benefits like employment, encourage biodiversity and help prevent soil erosion – but they take a pretty long time to grow and don’t capture carbon permanently.

As a tech company we want to lead the way in how businesses remove carbon from the air. The most common way of doing this is through planting trees, but there’s more to do beyond that. Don’t get us wrong – we love trees! They’re great. But there’s only so much land to plant them – so we need to look at other ways to capture carbon. That’s why we work with Klimate to capture all our Honest HQ and members’ emissions – 95% through trees and the other 5% through Direct Air Capture (DAC) and Biochar. You can read more about these awesome technologies here.

1% for the Planet

Beyond our carbon. negative commitments we're also a member of 1% for the Planet. Donating 1% of our revenue to initiatives combatting the climate crisis. We're working with TreeSisters to plant one million trees. Celebrating everything trees do beyond capturing carbon, like promoting biodiversity and preventing soil erosion. TreeSisters projects' focus on community building and women's empowerment.

You can read more about our sustainability work here and on our blog here.

Did this answer your question?